top of page

Little Miracles Started to Happen - by Aly Elkin

Tuner syndrome (TS) affects us all in different ways, but here is my story. I was always behind on growth and weight charts, but nobody really thought anything of it. I had the nickname of “peanut” because I was so much smaller than other children my age. When I was 3 years old, my brother was born with a rare metabolic disease and my parents decided to get genetic testing done for me to ensure that my growth problem was just me being a “peanut” and not something more.

As it turned out, I had mosaic Turner syndrome, and I wasn’t just naturally small like everyone thought. After my brother received his diagnosis, doctors tried to frame my diagnosis as a good thing to my parents. “The good news is, she is not in any danger”, they told my parents. “She will be normal except for a few minor things”. The doctors then went on to tell my parents that I wouldn’t ever naturally go through puberty and I’d have to take growth hormone injections, I’d never have my own biological children, and that I would have to get my heart and kidneys checked for the rest of my life, but I would still be “normal”.

What is “normal” exactly? As I grew up and started to understand my diagnosis more, it sure didn’t feel like I was “normal”. I had constant doctor appointments, had to take growth hormone injections, struggled a lot in school, and was painfully aware of my future infertility. I was beginning to think I would never get into college, and that I was not going anywhere in life. But then, one by one, little miracles started to happen. When I was 12 years old, my body started to develop on its own, and growth hormone allowed me to reach my final height of 5’0. I always joke that I worked hard to get to 5 feet, and I for sure did.

I had already done 2 things that my doctors said I would never do: go through puberty without any intervention and reach 5 feet (with the help of growth hormone shots). We had even been planning to start estrogen patches when I got a bit older, but there was no need. To my own disbelief, I made it through high school and shockingly enough, got into college. In high school, I just barely got by.

In college, I flourished. I even decided to do it all over again and get my Master of Science in clinical rehabilitation counseling, and I graduate in May 2023 with a 3.9 GPA. One day, I may even go back and become Doctor Aly Elkin, who knows! I defied everyone’s expectations, including my own, and Turner syndrome is just a part of me.

While the future of my fertility, heart, and kidneys is still unknown, I have comfort in the fact that I have continued to defy all the odds and expectations. Every fetus with TS has a 98% chance of ending in a miscarriage, so the fact that we were born with only a 2% chance is proof enough that girls with TS are warriors who defy all of the odds. Every individual story is unique, but we all have this in common: we defy the odds and expectations set for us, and that includes our own. Turner syndrome is a part of me, but it will never define me.

Featured Posts
No posts published in this language yet
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page